Freedom Folks

Friday, September 23, 2005

Move America Forward & The Media

While attending the Move America Forward press conference this morning in Chicago I was struck by the paucity of media coverage.There were precisely two representatives of our local media present: a cameraman for the local ABC affiliate and a reporter from WBBM.

This is Bob Conway from WBBM radio in Chicago. He was the only reporter from Chicago to even bother to attend. So, Bob, thank you!

However, it felt a bit like Bob had decided certain things before ever entering the room. I felt the tone of the questions were fairly negative and that he was looking for certain answers to his questions. To be fair, I never had the chance to ask him his thoughts as he left before the event ended. I have a call in to him right now and await his response.

As he continued to question Mrs. Johns I could feel the audience grow restless. The anger in the room was palpable. I don't think anyone was angry at Mr. Conway personally, but he represented the media, and the folks in the room made it pretty clear that they felt ill-served by Mr. Conway's cohorts.

Two ladies in the audience began to question Mr. Conway, who was clearly uncomfortable being the one on the spot. When the ladies asked why the media weren't reporting the good news from Iraq there was applause from the room. Mr. Conway seemed genuinely puzzled by the response. The ladies also asked why all we heard about were the deaths in Iraq as opposed to schools being built, children innoculated, power restored, women taking leadership roles, and so on. Important points all, that are perhaps too hard to report on from the '”Green Zone”.

If you think I'm bashing Mr. Conway in this post you would be wrong. He, at the very least, showed up. I do not know what was in the man's head. I hope to have the opportunity to speak with him and find out what he thought.

What was interesting to me though was the honest bewilderment he seemed to feel when confronted by ordinary Americans angry over the treatment of their sons and daughters by the press. The clear anger they felt over the media's preference for Cindy Sheehan over Deborah Johns. The painfully clear willingness in the media to turn Iraq into another Vietnam. Does he think the media coverage is fair? Does he believe the media is impartial?

I have nothing negative to say about Mr. Conway. I don't doubt for a second that he is an honest and honorable man who does his best to report what he sees. I just can't get past his not seeming to understand why the families of those serving in Iraq would be upset by yet another hatchet job on them and theirs. Or, conversely, to be ignored yet again in preference of another America-hating, patchouli-smelling hippie.

Pardon my rambling. I am trying to honestly understand the media obsession with negativity, especially as regards the war. I have actually dealt with reporters a fair amount. As a chef, I've been interviewed several times. When we recently attended the Take Back The Memorial rally in New York we were interviewed repeatedly. The reporters were all nice enough -- honestly, they didn't have fangs or anything.

Yet, somehow, the bulk of those stories were never posted. The good news doesn't seem able to break through the wall of negativity that the media has built. If it doesn't fit the Vietnam-Cindy Sheehan, mold we probably won't hear about it. When one of the major news magazines ran an article on Deborah Johns they posted a picture of Cindy Sheehan to accompany the article.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts on this let me know. I don't pretend to have the answers.

I'm just left with lots of questions.