Freedom Folks

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Stuck on Stupid Fest

OK, let's face it: we're all going to be stuck on saying "Stuck on Stupid" for a while. It's too good to pass up, because Honore rocks.

That said, I'm going to indulge in a little Stuck on Stupid Fest and get it out of the way...not that I'm saying I won't ever use it again, mind you...

Rachel Maddow of Air America to MSNBC's Tucker Carlson:

"Conspiracy theories don't necessarily help but you have to understand where they come from. They come from people feeling like this disaster had a real racial component. I mean, it was a majority-black city that was absolutely abandoned by the country."

Absolutely abandoned by the country? I don't even have a TV, and I've been bombarded with story after story about how false that idiot statement is. I guess even a Rhodes scholar can be STUCK ON STUPID.

Speaking of Rhodes scholars, here's a good one from Bill "@#&$!-I-just-soiled-my-legacy-again" Clinton, speaking at his recent Clinton Global Initiative:

"I think we ought to consider maybe setting up some sort of an insurance program against terror because I think there's maybe too much fear of it."

Get OUT! I don't believe it! Do you think terror might somehow be feared?!? Sing with me, folks: I AM STUCK ON STUPID, 'CAUSE STUPID'S STUCK ON ME.

And because I think that, deep down inside, we all suspect that Mr. Clinton would always prefer to do two rather than one -- STUPIDS, that is -- from his recent "This Week" interview:

"You can't have an emergency plan that works if it only affects middle class people and up...If we really wanted to do it right, we would have had lots of buses lined up to take them out and also lots of empty vans."



Wait...what are those yellow and white things protruding from all that NOLA floodwater? Wait. I think I can see...yes. Yes! They're BUSES! Buses that were part of the city's evacuation plan that were never used by Mayor Nagin (perhaps because he was too busy cursing at the President on the radio)! Looking at this picture and saying you would have had lots of buses lined up sounds STUCK ON STUPID to me.

Since General Honore delivered the delightful phrase so searingly to a journalist, I feel it only right that I should close my Stuck on Stupid Fest with a journalist as well.

After a reportedly emotional description of what he called a "new journalism order" while addressing the Fordham University School of Law in Manhattan, Dan Rather added:

"All of this creates a bigger atmosphere of fear in newsrooms."

Hmmmmm. A bigger atmosphere of fear. I wonder what kind of fear that might be? Fear of not having any evidence to back up your story? Or perhaps just fear that someone might actually call you on your bogus story and hold you accountable regarding your journalistic integrity? Gee, what a burden that must be on those charged with delivering factual stories to the public...FINDING and CHECKING the facts! Only if you're STUCK ON STUPID!